What Is Testosterone Hormone?
Testosterone is a steroid hormone that develops sexual characteristics in males and is basically produced in the testes. Sometimes it can also be produced in small amounts in the ovaries and the adrenal cortex. It is mainly a male-driven hormone but can also be seen in females in a small amount. During puberty in males, testosterone causes physical changes such as muscle and bone growth, growth of pubic hair, changes in voice, etc. Also, it helps develop male reproductive tissues,(testes and prostate). It also makes red blood cells and boosts energy and mood. The brain controls the production of testosterone by the testes.
What Are the Reasons for Low Testosterone?
Levels of hormones change as one grows. The normal count for a teenager can always be different from the normal count of an older man. In an individual, testosterone levels reach their highest limit, mostly up to 30 years of age, after which levels start declining. There are various reasons for low testosterone levels:
2. Hormonal Disorders
3. Genetic Diseases
4. Systemic Diseases
Side effects of medicines.
Viral diseases such as HIV or AIDS.
If a person is overweight.
Diseases of the brain (hypothalamus) that control the production of testosterone.
Low testosterone levels, also known as hypogonadism, may result in -
Low sexual drive.
Absence or less erection of the penis.
Less sperm count.
Enlargement of breasts in males.
A person becomes depressed.
Low bone and muscle mass.
If any of these symptoms are seen by any person, they should seek advice from a doctor as some of the above symptoms can also be seen as a result of aging, high blood pressure, or diabetes, and a person may get confused.
What Are the Natural Remedies for Increasing Testosterone?
As it is known that there are various reasons for lowering testosterone, a clinician should never jump directly to add extra testosterone before ruling out the other causes, as it may reduce the natural testosterone production in one’s body.
The following are the natural remedies for increasing testosterone:
1. Regular Exercise: Practicing exercise regularly helps in the prevention of many health-related diseases as well as in increasing levels of testosterone. Many studies reveal that a person who works out regularly increases testosterone levels more than a person having a low-calorie diet, as regular exercise reduces insulin levels. But one should keep in mind that practicing heavy exercise may also result in a downfall in testosterone levels.
2. Proper Diet: Testosterone levels also depend on the kind of diet a person intakes or, in simple terms, the food someone eat. To maintain a proper amount of testosterone, a person should have the correct amount of vitamins, minerals, protein, carbohydrates, and fat in their diet. It is seen that a low-fat diet may reduce a person’s testosterone level. Protein content not only helps reduce extra fat but also increases testosterone. So a person should have a proper nutrition diet for a healthy body and maintain testosterone levels.
What to Avoid:
Overconsumption of sugar and caffeine.
Coloring agents in food.
Excessive consumption of red meat, milk, and other milk products.
Excessive fried food or fast food.
What Can a Person Have:
3. Reducing Stress: It is well known that decreasing the level of a hormone called cortisol which, in turn, decreases progesterone levels, and stress can also convert progesterone to estrogen. So it is suggested that a person should try to live a stress-free life as much as possible by staying active, having a night of adequate sleep, and by doing medication as it will not only maintain testosterone levels but also helps to lead a healthy life as it cuts off unwanted and harmful fats from the body and prevents weight gain.
4. Vitamin D Supplements: Vitamin D is a micronutrient crucial in building bones. In addition, various surveys show that after consuming vitamin D supplements, a person's testosterone levels increase. Despite these facts, a huge number of people are deficient in vitamin D. If a person has a deficiency of vitamin D, they can easily get it from the morning sunlight.
5. Other Supplements That Increase Testosterone Levels:
Zinc -The body loses zinc by sweating. Zinc deficiency causes the prevention of testosterone production. Henceforth, male athletes who sweat a lot may have testosterone deficiency. It can be prevented by giving zinc supplements, but consuming them more may be dangerous as it may lead to vomiting and other health issues. If a person is deficient in zinc, they can have zinc supplements of 25 to 50 mcg daily.
Magnesium - Magnesium deficiency is directly related to testosterone deficiency. However, magnesium deficiency is much more common in older people than in young adults. Therefore, one can easily get magnesium through their routine diet. However, if it is still necessary, then one can have magnesium supplements after a doctor’s consultation, but not more than 350 mg, as excessive consumption may cause diarrhea or intestinal discomfort.
6. Adequate Sleep: Adequate Sleep is necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle and to prevent many diseases. Adequate sleep is directly related to testosterone levels, as most of the testosterone is produced when a person is asleep. However, a few studies found that sleeping less than five hours reduces ten percent of testosterone levels. Also, it was found that people who slept eight to nine hours had a good quantity of testosterone. However, again it is seen sleeping more than nine had low testosterone levels. Hence it is suggested that a person should sleep seven hours to maintain a stress-free and healthy life along with balanced testosterone levels.
7. Consuming Less Alcohol: Excessive consumption of alcohol and excessive tobacco causes a reduction in testosterone levels and affects one’s health adversely. Consumption of alcohol more than two drinks a day converts testosterone into estrogen.
Testosterone levels do indeed decrease with age, and this loss could also be an indication of other health issues. Not all age-related health issues can be resolved with testosterone; occasionally, other therapies are safer and more efficient. Exercise and other lifestyle modifications that increase testosterone can also enhance general health. If home remedies do not relieve the symptoms or improve the long-term health, then consulting a doctor is the best option.